Sunday, April 16, 2017

DIY Waterfront (Too many words, not enough pictures)

So it's been a few weeks since I got home, and after recovering from 40 hours door to door, losing at traffic court after almost 2 years (what a waste), and hearing nothing back after the FIRST response from the plethora of resumes I've sent out, I was feeling a little... deflated.

I've continued to pound the proverbial pavement, applying for some interesting and hopefully lucrative opportunities, and have also begun investigating a really exciting venture with a friend.

I've also spent lots of time with friends, trying to be present, not let the doldrums effect valuable time with people I care for and who care for me. Fortunately I have the kinds of friends who I can be absentminded with and they get that its a now thing and not a me thing.

Something that has given me some overdue motivation is this plan M and I started talking about last fall.

We're making a path down to the water on an unassumed piece of land behind our house.



I wanted to do it over the winter but the forest floor is too dangerous when covered in snow. It's dangerous enough not covered in snow, since it's mostly made up of deadfall and trees. I've been slowly picking my way through the forest, first cutting out the trees that block the path, then cutting down the branches on the remaining trees so no one gets poked in the eye.

This picture is not helpful.
The above picture just looks like a forest. What I can tell you is this: Everything green on the bottom third is stuff I've cut down. The brown blob in the middle is the remaining stifled branches that occur in dense evergreen forests. They all need to be cut down to open up the path. I actually took this picture with a focus on the top portion of the image, so that I could maybe get my bearings from the water side, which was my next step in the plan. I needed to make sure I wasn't on the neighbours property, or listing to far towards the highway, since there's a specific spot on the waterfront that I want the trail to end at.

In the dense evergreen overgrowth I was making progress of maybe 2 feet every 30 minutes.

Today was supposed to be a day off, since the forecast was for rain, and I'm bone tired from my previous days efforts. But I got restless, and suckered encouraged M to join me in a walk through the forest by the water. Our neighbours son has created some trails he rides his dirt bike through, but eventually the deadfall takes over and it turns into a forest shaped jungle gym.

Oddly, we didn't find my trail even though we came out the bottom side of our brush pile (which the trailhead is beside). It turns out had we even looked right when we came to a specific pile of deadfall, we would have seen the marker I had left at the end of the trail. But after 20 minutes of hurdling spikey, pokey logs, I'd lost my inability to focus on anything but stabbing myself in the leg.

Slightly more determined, I went back to the end of the trail, and hacked away some more. In about 10 minutes, I was through the dense evergreens and into one of the clear, deadfall filled areas.

Suddenly I was able to make progress of about 40 feet in 30 minutes.

Until I couldn't anymore.

I had to decide whether the path would continue through a massive amount of deadfall, or through another stand of dense evergreens. I initially tried for through the evergreens, since I knew the cutting tools I had (pruners of varying sizes) would work, but after another few feet I hit more deadfall.

So I went back around to see if I could assess from the other side.

I had a companion with me this time, too.
Basically the conclusion is, eventually I'm going to have to saw my way through deadfall, regardless of which path I take.

So tomorrow, I'll head back out there. This time armed with bigger, better saws, and hopefully make some more headway.

I *will* have an accessible waterfront this summer! :)