I've been spending a lot of time in the garden. Partly because I'm taking a break from the waterfront path. There's a lot of downfall and its harder to get through than I expected, and getting around it makes my skin crawl because fungus creeps me out. But also because I need to keep up on maintenance in a garden this enormous.
On the weekend I finally completed the long-planned expansion of the slightly shadier garden at the side of the house. I was shocked to find garlic - that I thought I had harvested last year - was sprouting. So I had to dig it out before installing the bed, which also gave me an opportunity to weed the area, a former flower garden left to the weeds.
|The upper left is the old raised bed, containing asparagus, garlic and rhubarb.|
The new bed is below. And yes, I ran out of soil.
|Its a work in progress.|
|M wants three move above these ones, even.|
We do have one problem area, however. It appears a large rock (it's MUCH bigger than the 18"x18" pavers) was under one of the pavers which we removed, and it's heaved one particular section. M and I are hoping to lift these pavers, level the area, and lay the pavers again. Including one over the rock.
|You can see the heaving, and the stone under the missing paver.|
I'm desperate for a new garage. We could build one ourselves for about $5k (ouch), but we need to make a decision whether we will hire someone to lay a slab foundation, or whether we will have a wood foundation on a larger shed structure. Cost is going to be a huge factor, of course.
There will probably be lots of dispatches from the garden in the coming weeks :)